Saturday, November 6, 2010

The 2010 Texas Rangers

After having a little bit of time to process the season the Texas Rangers completed, I wanted to jot down my experience of the year to remember. Since moving to the Houston area 3 years ago, we have been able to only attend 1 Ranger game a year when they visit the Astros. But I would say I have been able to watch more games on tv than ever before thanks to DVR and therefore probably know this team as well as any team I had season tickets to. Having said that, this team definitely provided the highest of highs for me as a fan of the Rangers in their history. The accomplished numerous monumental firsts: first home playoff victory, first playoff series win, first American League championships series appearance, first American League Championship series win, first World Series appearance, but none of this could have been done without their first big time pitching trade for none other than Cliff Lee. I have been high on this trade since the week after they made the deal and no matter where Lee ends up next year I will always believe that trade was the best deal the Rangers have ever made up to this point, in history.
This team will forever go down in my memory as a team who carried the hopes and dreams of so many Rangers fans. Andrus, Young, Hamilton, Guerrero, Cruz, Kinsler, Murphy, Molina, Moreland, Borbon, Lee, Wilson, Lewis, Holland, Hunter, O'Day, Oliver, Feliz, Treanor, and Washington will be etched in my mind as the core of this team that made it to the promise land. They turned a magical dreamland into a reality and caused a nation of fans to realize that the World Series is not a forbidden land only reserved for those with the deepest of pockets. Their chemistry and on field camaraderie energized the fan base like none other with the claw and antlers among other things. I know that there is no feeling in sports for me like the momentum of following your team to the World Series. I literally had dreams about the Rangers winning it all and nearly convinced myself that I had to find a way to get to Game 5 just in case the clinched it at home. After pricing airline tickets and then game tickets I realized this was only a dream and I would not be there. As it turns out, there was a celebration but for the San Francisco Giants as the World Champions. I'm sure I couldn't have handled that and I'm glad I still have my money in my pocket. I know that one day we will get to experience the joy of seeing my Texas Rangers on top and my only hope is that I am around to see it. Who knows, maybe the Astros & Rangers could meet in the Series and somebody offers me a ticket to the game and I see them clinch it all. For now, I will settle for the best season I have ever been witness to and will savor it. Thank you Texas Rangers for a fantastic year and here's to next year. I think it could be our year.

No comments: